[Gllug] Fedora 6 out at 14:00

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 11:59:26 UTC 2006

On 10/24/06, Pete Ryland <pdr at pdr.cx> wrote:

> The difference isn't so much yum vs apt IMO, but instead it's deb vs rpm

No it's not. From what you've claimed, it's Distro A vs Distro B.
Policy like that is governed by the distribution, not by the package
format or the dependency resolution mechanism. There's nothing
stopping an RPM based distribution from adopting a similar policy, or
a dpkg based one from violating that policy. I'd expect any distro
blessed package to just install out of the box without problems
whether it's an RPM of dpkg[1]. Like you say, requiring it to be
configured and ready to run on install is a different matter, and
comes down to personal taste...

Tet

[1] This hasn't always been true for me with either type of package,
although RH has mostly been good with this of late, where recent
versions of Debian still screw it up in places.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk