[Gllug] Old small laptop firewall option? Or just send it to the recycling centre?

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Tue Oct 31 09:21:20 UTC 2006

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 05:16:30PM +0000, Philip Hands wrote:
> Better than that might be to run the ADSL box in bridging mode, run PPPoE
> on the firewall

Danger: Expect PMTUD breakage due to having to run an MTU of 1500-<PPPoE
header>. I've used ISPs in the past which *ASSUME* a 1500 byte MTU on
your PPP link and if you're running something smaller, happily drop
packets which can't traverse the link.

However, I still use PPPoE because of the control it gives me. You just
have to be prepared to suffer the odd MTU problem (and you can do TCP
MSS clamping to work around the problem for TCP conversations)

Too many internet sites assume a 1500 byte MTU that to not have one can
be a pain.