[Gllug] Web design

Henry Gilbert henry.gilbert at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 10:01:03 UTC 2006

On 11/10/06, Chris Bell <chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>    Is there a consensus on the current best web design tools and systems? I
> would like to create quality, but without excessive bloat.
>
> --

Reaching consensus on web design tools will be hard. Everyone think
their way and toolset are the best - that would include me.

If you run a KDE environment, I would strongly vouch for KWrite.

It allows you to edit files remotely (FTP with Konqueror, right click
- open with Kwrite). When you finish your editing (ctrl+S) will save
the file remotely or prompt you to save upon closing.

Kwrite features code-highlighting for most script/languages. And the
usual macro short-cuts like Commenting / Uppercase, Expand/Collapse,
etc. And then much much more.

The nice thing about this app is that all the extra goodies do not get
in your way. Often people are not even aware they are there, treating
it as just another text-editor.

If it's lean code you are after, no learning curve, no hassle, no
intrusiveness (app does interfere with code or workflow) - then I
recommend this neat (often undiscovered) utility for web-coding.

Here is an example of a site coded with Kwrite:
http://www.bloomsburyhealthcentre.co.uk

regards

HG
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk