[Gllug] Open Source lobbying meeting - UKUUG London Thurs 19th

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Oct 14 18:42:35 UTC 2006

On Saturday 14 Oct 2006 17:18, Jack Bertram wrote:
> * Christopher Hunter <chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk> [061014 14:39]:
> > Returning to the UK at the beginning of Blair's reign, I began to look
> > into the award of government contracts.  In EVERY instance, these
> > contracts have been corruptly awarded (none that I could find have been
> > entirely "clean").
>
> Until you provide evidence, this is tosh.

I can (privately) provide you with all the evidence you could ever possibly
require.  I did a LOT of research when I returned to the UK, to assist a
journalist friend who'd been investigating government contract corruption for
many years.  Over the years, we could find NO government contracts untainted
by some form of underhand dealing.

A quick Google search for "BAe slush fund" will start you on your way.  You
only need to read the more credible links (the BBC, the Guardian, Private Eye
etc), and they will lead you into an astonishing world of bribes, deceit and
government connivance....

I probably sound like a "conspiracy nut", but I've recently seen two contracts
in the UK public sector awarded on the basis of the  thickness of the "brown
envelope" and the quality of a "fact-finding trip" (read "junket") to the Far
East.  My employer lost one of the contracts in this instance, but retained
the other (more by luck than judgement!).  This type of corruption is endemic
in Britain these days, and is getting worse.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk