[Gllug] LinuxDoc / DocBook Documentation Writting

Richard Turner richard at zygous.co.uk
Tue Sep 12 19:21:49 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 10:09 +0100, Peter Childs wrote:
> I like the idea of LinuxDoc and DocBook for writting documentation,
> The theory is wonderful, however I hit some major problems. Event
> strict XHTML has the same theory.

<snip>

> In short I want a wysiwyg editor for a language that does not care
> about format and layout.

What media/file formats do you want to create as an end result? HTML?
PDF? PostScript? XML?

If you're after something to prepare a document to print then how about
lyx[1]? It's advertised as WYSIWYM - What You See Is What You Mean -
emphasis is on setting the styles of characters or paragraphs to
determine the formatting, and modifying what is essentially a
style-sheet to actually define how the styles look on different media.

As I understand it lyx uses LaTeX, or at least is compatible with it, so
it'll cope quite admirably at preparing a document for going to press
and it's very easy to use. There are tools for converting LaTeX (or
maybe TeX) into HTML and/or XML too...

Cheers,

Richard.

[1] - http://www.lyx.org/
--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."