[Gllug] VOT: Family Cars

paul at ma1.se paul at ma1.se
Tue Sep 19 12:03:28 UTC 2006

Martin A. Brooks wrote:

> Steve Nelson wrote:
>
>> Restricting choice to large-estate-type cars (for budget and style
>> reasons), what experiences/ideas/recommendations do folk have for
>> safely and legally transporting three children in the back?  Any
>> recommendations on vehicles also welcome.
>

> BMW 3 series, touring.
>
> I've just ordered a new style Renault Clio (5 door version), it's
> surprisingly spacious for a "small" car.

Not sure if you are looking for secondhand or new but I was always a fan
of big Citroens. I suppose running Linux desktop one has to be slightly
idiosyncratic in ones choice of car ;o)

So until a few years ago I drove a procession of rotting Citroen CX's
(including the big `Safari` estate) and latterly a Citroen XM (which
unlike the CX's was entirely rust free).

They were extremely cheap in the second hand market, but also they were
extremely safe due to their hydro-pnuematic suspension/braking and
steering system which could withstand a high speed blow out (the earlier
DS's were famously demonstrated driving on three wheels and driving at
speed over ploughed fields). Lucky I never had to put this to the test!

Downsides lots of niggling little faults particularly electrical, but
then again "cheap as chips" motoring.

Nowadays I suppose its worth considering a deisel version as you might
be able to run on a blend "biodiverse" fuel, in fact I think Tesco
garages now offer this.

If I was buying new I'd perhaps consider a Citroen C4.

Regards

Paul
www.ma1.se
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk