[Gllug] Dell X Setup

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Sun Sep 3 15:24:42 UTC 2006

"Steve Nelson" <sanelson at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> Just a shot in the dark, really, but I've been given a workstation
> with a 19" Dell 1905FP TFT using an Intel 82865G Integrated Graphics
> Device.  I've tried everything I can think of, but cannot get a sane
> display - I either get 800x600, which is ludicrous, or I manage to get
> a greater resolution, but with 8bit colour.

I have managed to get this chip working acceptably, more or less
(1280x1024 is not 4x3 and everything is stretched) with the following X
configuration (XFree4, not Xorg but that shouldn't make much
difference):

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Generic Video Card"
        Driver          "i810"
        BusID           "PCI:0:2:0"
        VideoRam        65536
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
        HorizSync       30-69
        VertRefresh     50-120
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

Then, of course, listing 1280x1024 in the Modes line.

I also load i810 on startup but I'm not certain that's required.

Note, however, that I use a CRT not a TFT.

Also, I'm not 100% sure *how* the above snippet works, just that it
does, for me. I got it after much pain (using the machine as an X
terminal with read-only NFS root is only the start), poking and randomly
changing settings to see what happened.

Specifically the VideoRam line may not actually have any relevance to
anything.

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child," for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely