[Gllug] Anti-DRM event in Central London tomorrow!

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sat Sep 30 11:44:23 UTC 2006

On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 10:50:12AM +0100, Simon Morris wrote:
> On 30/09/06, Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> wrote:
> >On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 11:58:00PM +0100, Simon Morris wrote:
> >> Copyright law is very important.. it protects the original
> >> author/artist and defines regulated free use.
> >
> >Copyright might be intended for that purpose, but copyright _law_
> >surely does not do this, and is not even intended to do this, since
> >the publishers who are the driving force behind it only roll out the
> >"starving creators" every now and then to justify further enriching
> >themselves.
>
> Excellent point. It could be argued that these restrictions are in
> force more to protect the profits of recording and media organisations
> than those of the creative artist.

They're at it again :-)

To avoid the labels, where possible buy direct from the artists.  I've
recently bought CDs by the Cardiacs, Wizards of Twiddly and Circulus
this way.  Encourage musicians to release their music straight to the
internet.

BTW, sorry I can't be at the protest today - I hope it goes well, but
I've got a ton of work to do.

> Of course I am also sure that artists have concerns about loss of
> revenue from illegal filesharing (which again is not the focus of the
> anti-DRM movement) but it is the large businesses that are driving DRM
> adoption.
>
> I wonder what Bono did think about the DefectiveByDesign petition to him?
>
> http://defectivebydesign.org/petition/bonopetition

I suspect he ignored it.  There's a tiny number of musicians who've
done very well by the current system.  The problem is the vast
majority who end up owing money back to their labels.  Did you know
that Blondie ended up with nothing from their hugely successful
albums?

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.