[Gllug] server sleeping

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Thu Sep 14 12:31:39 UTC 2006

I have found memtest86 to be useful in identifying duff chips.
Sometimes a machine will behave in a flaky manner due to a dodgy memory
simm/dimm and memtest weill enable me to identify the offending item and
replace it.    If memtest86 doesnt find any errors it doesn't mean the memory is
flawless,  but if it does find errors then you know what to do!

Making a machine work hard with GCC or whatever may well cause a machine to
fall over whereas memtest86 will not find a problem,  but that still, I guess,
gives you the problem of identifying the faulty component!  Could just as well
be cache as primamry memory!!    Also you cant guarantee that a heavy-duty
compile will use ALL memory - the kernel for a start will grab a fair chunk that
GCC will never see. So, IMHO, memtest86 is a useful tool even if not 'perfect'.

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk