[Gllug] DVD/CD-RW combi problem

Ryland, Peter peter.ryland at squaregain.co.uk
Mon Sep 4 16:11:21 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 15:13 +0100, Michael Laycock wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 13:05 +0100, Stephen Harker wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 12:34:56PM +0100, Michael Laycock wrote:
> > > Hello people, just joined this mailing list.
> > >
> > > I have a problem. I have just migrated from Mandriva to (flavour of the
> > > moment) Ubuntu. I've managed to set everything up (which I never quite
> > > managed with Mandriva) with the aid of Automatix. The problem is with my
> > > DVD/CD-RW combi drive, it recognises all compatible media, including
> > > DVD's if they are data disks, but if I insert a DVD film the drive spins
> > > up for an eternity, then once finished with that the LED on the drive
> > > stays lit while Ubuntu tells me there is no disk in the drive to mount.
> > > Incidentally the drive worked flawlessly in Mandriva. Any ideas?
> >
> > Please post any relevant information from dmesg relating to your DVD device (I presume it's /dev/hdc or /dev/hdd) and we'll have a better idea what is going wrong.
> >
> > Stephen
>
> Thanks for the prompt reply, here goes
>
>  cdrom: open failed.
>
>  hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComple te
> Error }
>  hdc: packet command error: error=0x30 { LastFailedSense=0x03 }
>  ide: failed opcode was: unknown
>  hdc: error code: 0x70  sense_key: 0x03  asc: 0x57  ascq: 0x00
>
>  cdrom: open failed.
>
> These were all the entries I could find, hope this helps

Normally, you don't need to mount a dvd film to play it, just start up
the player application.  Either way, it's a bug that Ubuntu doesn't
automatically do that.

Hmm.. is it a Plextor?  Perhaps this bug is related:

https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/27316

in which case, try inserting an Audio CD, ejecting it, then re-insert
the video dvd.

Pete
--
Please ignore the disclaimer below.  Its addition is out of my control.

This communication is confidential and is intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
If you are not that person you are not permitted to make use of
the information and you are requested to notify
postmaster at squaregain.co.uk immediately that you have
received it and then destroy the copy in your possession.
Squaregain Ltd is authorised and regulated by the
Financial Services Authority and is a member of the LSE.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk