[Gllug] DVD/CD-RW combi problem

Michael Laycock michael.laycock1 at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 4 14:13:33 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 13:05 +0100, Stephen Harker wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 12:34:56PM +0100, Michael Laycock wrote:
> > Hello people, just joined this mailing list.
> >
> > I have a problem. I have just migrated from Mandriva to (flavour of the
> > moment) Ubuntu. I've managed to set everything up (which I never quite
> > managed with Mandriva) with the aid of Automatix. The problem is with my
> > DVD/CD-RW combi drive, it recognises all compatible media, including
> > DVD's if they are data disks, but if I insert a DVD film the drive spins
> > up for an eternity, then once finished with that the LED on the drive
> > stays lit while Ubuntu tells me there is no disk in the drive to mount.
> > Incidentally the drive worked flawlessly in Mandriva. Any ideas?
>
> Please post any relevant information from dmesg relating to your DVD device (I presume it's /dev/hdc or /dev/hdd) and we'll have a better idea what is going wrong.
>
> Stephen

Thanks for the prompt reply, here goes

 cdrom: open failed.

 hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComple te
Error }
 hdc: packet command error: error=0x30 { LastFailedSense=0x03 }
 ide: failed opcode was: unknown
 hdc: error code: 0x70  sense_key: 0x03  asc: 0x57  ascq: 0x00

 cdrom: open failed.

These were all the entries I could find, hope this helps

Mick

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk