[Gllug] Thoughts on the breadth of Free Software

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Sep 17 22:05:56 UTC 2006

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006, Tethys prattled cheerily:
>                            Similarly, I tried to install Konqueror the
> other day to verify how some of my web pages looked in an alternative
> browser. I really shouldn't need over 30 additional dependencies and
> over 100MB of downloads just to do that.

You appear to be suffering under the misapprehension that Konqueror is a
web browser. It isn't. It's half a web browser and half a file manager
and `universal viewing application', and makes extensive use of most of
kdelibs and big hunks of kdecore. If you wanted a program that does what
Konqueror does, you'd have to reimplement most of that anyway, and then
those reinvented things wouldn't be able to be reused by other programs
the way the kdelibs libraries can be.

There are other browsers based on KHTML (Safari and something on Nokia
smartphones, plus *many* other parts of KDE use KHTML themselves while
not being full-blown browsers), but I don't know of any that run under
Linux. So I guess you're stuffed: eat your kdelibs or avoid Konqueror.

--
`In typical emacs fashion, it is both absurdly ornate and
 still not really what one wanted.' --- jdev
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk