[Gllug] startx broken !

salsaman salsaman at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 12 08:50:54 UTC 2006

Mark Williams wrote:

> salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I was restricting some file permissions in /etc and /var today, and I
>> think I overdid it a bit. Now I can only do startx as root !
>>
>> If I do startx as a normal user, I get the following type of error:
>>
>> xauth:  creating new authority file /home/foo/.serverauth.5135
>> Authentication failed - cannot start X server.
>> Perhaps you do not have console ownership?xinit:  Server error.
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>>

>> Gabriel.
>>

> Given that it's /home/foo you can't write too, try (as root)
>
> cd /home
> for i in * ; do chown -R $i:$i $i ; done
>
> which will revert ownership of everything in all home directories to
> it's rightful owner, & see if that does it.
>
> You could of course just do your own directory but I tend to find that
> if I've done this I've done it globally :( !!
>
> Mark

Problem is, I didn't alter anything in /home/foo.
The .server* files are created, but I think they are zero length. I
reverted everything public in /etc/ssh, so I don't think it's that. I
also reverted /etc/pam.d just in case, but no luck there. And
/etc/security/* is all readable again where it should be.

Gabriel.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk