[Gllug] Re: ObNaive: Why don't Linux systems get package database rot? Or do they?

Christopher Currie ccurrie at usa.net
Wed Sep 13 11:14:18 UTC 2006

 Mike Brodbelt wrote:

> Peter Childs wrote:

> > If I
> > switch it on on my machine it freezes instantly. It does weid
> > unfavanble things to the desktops at work so its switched off. I would
> > like it because then I could use nautaulus to put icons on the
> > desktops but I tend to just ovoide Gnome software.....
>
> I'll happily use GNOME applications, but I don't run the GNOME desktop.
> It's limiting, it copies many of the mistakes made by Windows, and it
> just gets in the way.

I've noticed that some apps, for which I used to have to have GNOME installed
because not all their functions would work over other desktops (e.g.
Abiword), now work fine over KDE, and in Abiword's case, over JWM. I always
found GNOME (and its browsers) buggy, and I'm glad to have got rid of it in
my latest SuSE 10.1 installation (though of course Novell tried to make it
the default)...

Christopher Currie
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk