[Gllug] Thoughts on Scalix

Morfidus morfidus at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 27 15:17:01 UTC 2006

I don't think I explained myself incorrectly, I am looking for the
opinion of somebody who was experience with Scalix only.

 Bosses won't let me play with integrating bits and bobs, they want a
"fully integrated package" (their double speak)  and the "ability of
restoring mail in the way Exchange+Outlook does it", which I guess
could be easily done with imap.

 This is a fight between them wanting Exchange "because of whatever
diluded view they have of it" and us "IT admins not wanting to deal
with the negative side consequences of more MS software"

On 27/09/06, Juergen Schinker <ba1020 at homie.homelinux.net> wrote:
> Am Mi, 27.09.2006, 14:23, schrieb Rich Walker:
> > Morfidus <morfidus at googlemail.com> writes:
> >
> >> Hi Everybody,
> >>
> >>  This is my first email to the list so I will try to keep it short.
> >>
> >>  My bosses have hit me with the usual "we need MS Exchange now" plea.
> >> They seem to believe that such piece of *it will relieve them of much
> >> work.
> >>
> >> We are mainly a mixed shop, *nix server side and Windows on mainly
> >> laptops. They are all Outlook junkies.
> >>
> >>   Until now we have had no trouble using Postfix + UW Imap, but they
> >> want more, ie Shared Calendars, Shared Address Book, collaboration
> >> (whatever that is)....
> >>

> http://www.opengroupware.org/
>
> that is the perfect tool for that...
>
> for Outlook you will need special Outlook-Connectors that cost something..
> Linux and e.g. Palm are easily integrated ...
>
> test it with LiveCD...
>
> Juergen
>
> --

---