[Gllug] cpu usage across time

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Tue Sep 19 14:02:48 UTC 2006

Dani Pardo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a LAMP machine wich is a little busy, and I'd like to have a
> top-like utility, wich shows the % cpu used per process, but through
> time, ideally as a graph or a text file. By now the only way I can
> imagine is using "top -b -n", and collect the resulting text file,
> but..

You could run the 'sar'
On SuSE this comes from the 'sysstar' RPM
http://perso.orange.fr/sebastien.godard/

The sysstat tools can log system parameters on a periodic basis
for later analysys by the 'sadf' tool.

You could run Ganglia on the machine, we use this for our Beowulf
cluster monitoring.
http://ganglia.sourceforge.net/
Don't worry - you can run the ganglia monitor daemon and the data
collector on the same machine.

--
      John Hearns
      Senior HPC Engineer