[Gllug] OK sendmail haters...

Tom Robinson yzenezy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 16:22:05 UTC 2006

On 30/08/06, Mike Brodbelt <mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> - Tethys wrote:
> > On 8/30/06, Adrian McMenamin <adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info> wrote:
> >
> >> Tell me I should be using Exim, but if I have masquerade_as in my
> >> sendmail.mc and the DM macro in sendmail.cf is set to the same real
> >> world network, why oh why do all emails being sent out by mailman claim
> >> they come from www-data at localhost.localdomain??
> >
> > At a guess, you probably need to add:
> >
> > FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)
> >
> > Either that, or mailman might be bypassing sendmail altogether, and
> > sending mail directly (I know nothing about mailman, so I have no idea
> > whether that's likely or not).
>
> No, mailman sends via sendmail. I use the following in sendmail.mc
>

> dnl #
> dnl # Make all outgoing mail appear to originate from the
> dnl # domain of the mail server. Do not masquerade from
> dnl # other valid domains that are in $w as we may wish these
> dnl # to be exposed if set in the mail headers.
> dnl #
> MASQUERADE_AS(`my.domain.com')dnl
> MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`mail.my.domain.com')dnl
> FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl
> FEATURE(`limited_masquerade')dnl
>
> If you only send/receive from a single domain, you won't need the
> "limited_masquerade".

>From my limited experience domain rewrites are governed by MASQUERADE_AS and
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN. The masquerade_envelope FEATURE is also necessary if you
want the envelope, in addition to the headers, to be masqueraded.

>From the doc:

Normally the only addresses that are masqueraded are those that come
from this host (that is, are either unqualified or in class {w}, the list
of local domain names).  You can augment this list, which is realized
by class {M} using

        MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`otherhost.domain')

The effect of this is that although mail to user at otherhost.domain
will not be delivered locally, any mail including any user at otherhost.domain
will, when relayed, be rewritten to have the MASQUERADE_AS address.
This can be a space-separated list of names.
---
and
---
masquerade_envelope
                If masquerading is enabled (using MASQUERADE_AS) or the
                genericstable is in use, this feature will cause envelope
                addresses to also masquerade as being from the masquerade
                host.  Normally only the header addresses are masqueraded.

t.

--
Regards,

Tom Robinson