[Gllug] Matrox P650, FC5, Gnome screwed

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Sun Sep 17 11:52:15 UTC 2006

Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Ken Smith wrote:
>> Any Gnome experts among us or is it quicker to fdisk and start
>> again.....
>
> Completely reinstalling a machine because one minor userspace
> component isn't working as well as you want seems a little excessive.
> Assuming the Matrox driver really has trashed X, then all you need to
> do is purge X and reinstall that.
Yes that was a bit OTT, a Windows approach I admit, I was annoyed that
it had screwed the system up and it was late.... I have all the up to
date install files on line here so a re-install would only take 25 mins
max. Non rpm, yum/apt type installers are a real PITA 'cause you don't
know where they spray their files and 'adjustments'.

I think I was dealing with three problems. The first was a broken link
that thwarted the Matrox installer, that is connected with the SMP
kernel I'm running - that was easily fixed. The second is that the
Matrox installer has a bug in its script, where it backs up the existing
libGL.so.1.2 and libglx.so, so that it can never really successfully do
an uninstall. The third is that the Gnome's config files got borked
somehow in the process of starting X with the new mga.ko driver file.
That was the heart of the window manager problem.

Many thanks to Daniel whose late night suggestions really helped. In the
freshness of the next day I've got it sorted with the new driver and
WITHOUT a re-install.

Take care

Ken

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk