[Gllug] ObNaive: Why don't Linux systems get package database rot? Or do they?

Christopher Currie ccurrie at usa.net
Mon Sep 11 18:40:03 UTC 2006

The other day I got some promotional mail from ZoneAlarm writing inter alia:

>With regular use, most PCs develop large numbers of registry errors that
>degrade performance and cause crashes. The Windows registry is the database
>used by Windows to keep track of the settings for the operating system and
>all installed programs.

[Interesting that they can claim that for all W versions, without fear of
suing by M$ lawyers].

It struck me that with the use of large and frequently updated binary
databases for system-wide package management on Linux distros (or at least on
some, e.g. /var/lib/rpm/packages), there must be some risk of similar errors
and degradation which might corrupt package installation and hence,
eventually, the system. Or isn't there?

(I note that a Google search for Windows Rot produces a clutch of articles in
English, while one for Linux Rot produces a clutch of articles in German:-))

Christopher Currie
ccurrie at usa.net
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk