[Gllug] startx broken !

Mark Williams mark.666 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Sep 12 07:28:58 UTC 2006

salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
> Hi all,
> I was restricting some file permissions in /etc and /var today, and I
> think I overdid it a bit. Now I can only do startx as root !
>
> If I do startx as a normal user, I get the following type of error:
>
> xauth:  creating new authority file /home/foo/.serverauth.5135
> Authentication failed - cannot start X server.
> Perhaps you do not have console ownership?xinit:  Server error.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>

> Gabriel.

Given that it's /home/foo you can't write too, try (as root)

cd /home
for i in * ; do chown -R $i:$i $i ; done

which will revert ownership of everything in all home directories to
it's rightful owner, & see if that does it.

You could of course just do your own directory but I tend to find that
if I've done this I've done it globally :( !!

Mark

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk