[Gllug] Recommendations for an IMAP server

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Fri Sep 22 19:13:59 UTC 2006

Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> writes:

> Alain Williams wrote:
>>> cyrus
>> Cyrus is good, but can be a pig to set up.
>> If you need scalability go for cyrus, for a small installation I have found
>> dovecot to work well.
>>

> its fairly simple on a distro that includes it, eg on CentOS - yum
> install the pkgs, change the delivery mechanism for your MTA to point
> at cyrus, ensure the saslauthd is running, and you are good to go. the
> chosen setup defaults work quite well for most people.

I have to disagree with this.

Cyrus is great but saslauthd is probably the most irritating piece of
software I have ever come across that was not made by Microsoft.

Well having said that I've never tried to use it with a basic
passwd-file authentication system...

Cyrus itself, on the other hand, is no more complicated than a single
apt-get command.

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child," for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk