[Gllug] Multiple Raid Levels On Sarge

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Thu Sep 28 20:42:55 UTC 2006

On Sep 28, 08:59, James Roberts wrote:

> >>I'd *really* want a hot spare on each array...
> >Not practical this is backup storage will be monitoring the system for
> >disk errors and can in an emergency float it off to the archive space on
> >a Pillar NAS.
>
> >This is about recycling old hardware and using new disks to get a better
> >than before solution.
>
> Fair enough. It's very inefficient disk wise compared with 5x500 in a
> RAID5 and a hot spare but you know that :)
>
> I can find no data on-line on the likely performance of the i4 in this
> configuration and have no experience of the product. But I would not
> expect RAID50 write performance (with two on-board controllers) would be
> anything like as fast as RAID10 (this is certainly the case for all
> configs with the 3Wares we use).

I will run bonnie++ on it if I get the time, it just got to handle
having data poured into for a few hours a night.

An alternative is to let software raid handle it all but I am not sure
if the card can be configured to simply act as an ide controller.

The Windows boys just got a lovely 9TB coraid shelf but for some reason
we *nix boys must make do with what we can scrounge and salvage.

To be honest though they do seem to get many more disk failures and
customers who run untested batch scripts that eat their sites. ;)

--
Peace Jim :-)

 You cant beat the system, but you sure can break it.
 -- Malcom

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk