[Gllug] Samba or NFS

Richard richard_c at tpg.com.au
Tue Sep 19 09:55:16 UTC 2006

You can use either or both. Windows can mount NFS with the aid of the
(free) Services For Unix kit, and nativeky speak SMB/CIFS. Mac (OS X)
speaks both SMB/CIFS and NFS natively. Mac OS 9 and earlier are a pain,
but Linux (the babelfish of networking) can serve the old Apple file
sharing protocol too.

In addition, it's ok to serve up the same data, over both protocols,
simultaneously. If you'd rather not have the hassle of setting it up,
then Openfiler  (openfiler.com) is a NAS-in-a-box that will do it for
you (and it's free, scalable, etc.)

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk