[Gllug] server sleeping

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Sep 9 16:10:56 UTC 2006

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, Casper Gasper moaned:
> No, it appears to lock up so quickly there doesn't appear to be any
> mention of a problem.

If you turn on network kernel syslogging, you'll often get logs even
when userspace has entirely died *and* filesystems *and* the block
device layer have seized up :)

>                 Someone suggested clamav b0rks on large files,
> and I know there are 1GB+ files on the machine, so I may try and
> disable scanning over a certain size, see if that helps.

I've not seen any such problem here, but the largest files on this
box are ~800Mb (discounting sparse test RAID array images of
size >500Gb, but I don't try scanning those!)

I'd be rather worried if anything unprivileged userspace could do could
lock up the box: especially things like file access. This *must* be
either a kernel bug or a hardware problem.

--
`In typical emacs fashion, it is both absurdly ornate and
 still not really what one wanted.' --- jdev
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk