[Gllug] ObNaive: Why don't Linux systems get package database rot? Or do they?

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 12 22:17:02 UTC 2006

Peter Childs wrote:

> Look at GConf its just as unstable as the windows registry.

Gconf is a tragic example of Windows style idiocy brought to Linux. It's
not as bad as the registry though, as it's a repository only for
application data - the contents of it aren't important to the kernel,
and its not needed for your hardware to work. It isn't your package
database either, so it can't hose your distro. None of this is an excuse
for it mind - it breaks the KISS principle, splatters config data all
over the place, and is generally fragile. It's also almost completely
undocumented.

> If I
> switch it on on my machine it freezes instantly. It does weid
> unfavanble things to the desktops at work so its switched off. I would
> like it because then I could use nautaulus to put icons on the
> desktops but I tend to just ovoide Gnome software.....

I'll happily use GNOME applications, but I don't run the GNOME desktop.
It's limiting, it copies many of the mistakes made by Windows, and it
just gets in the way.

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk