[Gllug] OT: Mac OS X for a linux user

Simon Morris simon.morris at cmtww.com
Thu Sep 7 15:41:48 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 15:35 +0100, Myke Lyons wrote:

> > And lastly - you are opting into the world of proprietary software
> > which isn't really a good step IMHO.
> This is going to be entirely up to you.  I think there is more than
> one way to promote open software, although as ~sm says you would be
> opting for more proprietary software.

Gah, I don't know... you introduce someone to a mailing list and next
thing you know they're debating against you!

Free Software is available for the Mac, this is very true. However, most
of the Free graphical applications just aren't nice to use as they are
on GNU/Linux and an X11 based server.

The terminal applications work fine.

If you are the kind of person who's going to go out and buy a Mac I'd be
fairly surprised if you use a lot of graphical applications which all
look a little strange on OS X.

Good example is Office software - the choice boils down to Microsoft
Office, Appleworks or OpenOffice.org. Both OpenOffice for the Mac and
the Neo-Office port just aren't as graphically pleasing to use as the
native Aqua ones.

Of course there are a few native applications that are Free - CyberDuck
and so on.

My guess is that if you buy a Mac and use OS X you'll be agreeing to a
lot more restrictive licences and paying more for your software.

Thanks

~sm