[Gllug] OT: Mac OS X for a linux user

Matthew Thompson matt.thompson at actuality.co.uk
Wed Sep 6 18:30:59 UTC 2006

On 6 Sep 2006, at 18:10, Jack Bertram wrote:

> I am vaguely considering moving off my current two-home machine
> setup (1
> Linux for everyday; 1 Windows for Microsoft Office/Money) to a single
> iMac 24" - basically to save space.  I'd migrate all my email to my
> linux hosted server.

That's exactly how I work - Apple's Mail app is a reasonably
proficient IMAP client, alternatives are available.

> Has anyone used OS X in anger?

Is the last 4 and a half years anger enough?

> Is it sufficiently linux-like that I'd
> be at home with it?

Yes. No. Maybe. If you are a desktop linux user then you'll probably
be thrown by a few of the GUI differences but they're easy enough to
adapt to. The shell interface is different and file system layout
very different but you'll adapt.

> Does running CrossoverMac work well?

Depends on the application - if you need stable windows compatibility
investigate Parallels or Boot Camp depending on how you wish to
integrate Windows apps.

> Can you run
> the normal X or Gnome programs that I'm familiar with on the desktop
> without fiddling too much?

Again it depends on the application. Apple ship X on the install DVD
but not installed as standard. The QuartzWM integrates X applications
into the look and feel.

> As a veteran CLI user, it's a slightly scary prospect moving to Mac
> but
> it might be worth it for the gorgeous screen and the lack of boxes
> under
> the table...

Terminal is your friend :)

M at t :o)