[Gllug] Matrox P650, FC5, Gnome screwed

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Sat Sep 16 23:14:30 UTC 2006

I've been setting up a FC5 system that has a Matrox P650 video card. It
works reasonably well in RL5 with the vesa driver that installs by
default. Thinking I'd try out the Matrox driver, I downloaded it and ran
its setup. After finding/sorting a few broken links on this machine it
built fine and works the X display. ctl-alt-f1 works properly BUT the
Metacity Window Manager in Gnome is trashed. Gnome spends 5-10 minutes
starting and then runs without a window manager. KDE works fine. I have
re-installed metacity to no effect. Gnome complains about loads of
library's missing when running startx from RL3. So it looks like the
Matpox proprierary driver thingy takes an axe to the system and
certainly kills Gnome. I've run the Matrox de-install and put the
xorg.conf back to the original.

So how to fix? Any Gnome experts among us or is it quicker to fdisk and
start again.....

Thanks in advance

Ken

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk