[Gllug] Help!

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Sep 7 10:25:03 UTC 2006

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 11:15:59AM +0100, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> I've never really been able to get my head round ssh tunnelling.
>
> If I want my ssh client to connect from it's port 443 to a machine with
> sshd running on port 18000 (say) what sort of tunnel is that?

It's not tunnelling at all.  You want ssh to use a privileged source
port (443 in this case) for some reason -- eg. evading a very poorly
written firewall rule?  You'd need to hack the source to ssh afaics
because ssh only supports the UsePrivilegedPort flag which seems to
force it to use source port of 22.

To change the destination port to 18000, use '-p 18000' on the command
line.  There are valid reasons for changing the destination port, but
as I discovered recently you need to be careful if you have multiple
ssh daemons listening on multiple ports, because ssh checks host keys
on a per-client basis, not a per-client:port basis, so it'll give you
warnings about host keys changing unless you hack your local ssh
config file.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.