[Gllug] Bluetooth

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Sep 20 04:38:14 UTC 2006

Subject: Re: [Gllug] Bluetooth
Date: Wednesday 20 Sep 2006 05:30
From: Christopher Hunter <chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk>
To: "Martin A. Brooks" <martin at hinterlands.org>

On Tuesday 19 Sep 2006 22:08, you wrote:
> Christopher Hunter wrote:
> >> I use 54g wireless and a bluetooth mouse at home, I've never noticed a
> >> problem.  Perhaps I'm just lucky.
> >
> > You are!  I have a nasty, cheap USB Bluetooth dongle that completely
> > ruins the reception of my nearby wireless router.  The Bluetooth effort
> > was for the benefit of my wife's PDA, but I think I'm going to have to
> > persuade her to use a USB lead!
>
> Or get rid of the nasty, cheap bluetooth dongle, perhaps?

Funnily enough, I tried that last night.  I borrowed an "expensive" USB
Bluetooth dongle from a neighbour, and got much the same result.

It seems that the receiver in the (Netgear) router suffers from
desensitisation with anything in proximity on roughly the same frequency.
This is a well-known phenomenon - in poorly designed receivers!

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk