[Gllug] Verizon Business/MCI/UUNet Problems

Matthew Thompson matt.thompson at actuality.co.uk
Tue Sep 19 21:25:34 UTC 2006

On 15 Sep 2006, at 20:54, Ian Northeast wrote:

> Verizon are the ISP who blocked mail to their customers from most
> of Europe, Asia and Australia to "reduce spam", by firewalling, not
> even by rejecting.
>
> Would you want to use an ISP which does that?

Because they bought MCI who bought UUnet and the arm of Verizon we're
using (VerizonBusiness) is not the Verizon that "protected" their
customers from evil European, Asian and Australian spam.

They're also now the largest ISP in the world and they offer services
at costs no-one else could manage in the geographical area we're in.

This problem was outside their direct control and they've been a damn
sight better over the past 6 years than any other ISP I've ever used.
Or been employed by.

--
Matthew Thompson
matt.thompson at actuality.co.uk