[Gllug] Linux invalidates your HP warranty

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 17:11:57 UTC 2007

On 4/3/07, Chris Jones <cmsj at tenshu.net> wrote:

> AFAICS though you're perfectly free to decline to accept the windows
> licence and continue unsupported.

By what logic do you link declining the license and being unsupported?

> and I would imagine HP support (and indeed every other support
> department in the world, EVER) have no end of problems caused by
> installed software, but they can't really wiggle out of that one without
> a blanket policy to run the restore CD prior to doing anything.

They can. As has been mentioned several times now, the obvious ways of
doing that are to boot from a CD or from the network. Yes, running the
restore CD would also work, but it would have the downside of
overwriting the customer's data, which isn't a particularly good way
to endear yourself to your customers.

Yes, I agree with your point that HP see the product they're
supporting as a hardware/software combination. Having their support
department boot from a known good OS image is the best way to do so,
and as I've pointed out, they can do this without touching the
contents of the hard drive.

Thus there is no valid reason for them to refuse support because Linux
happens to be installed.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk