[Gllug] Linux invalidates your HP warranty

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Wed Apr 4 13:06:20 UTC 2007

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007, Chris Jones wrote:

> Specifically using the word "licence" to refer to the manufacturer's
> warranty was not Correct[tm]. I should have said contract.
>
> Either way the point is that it has terms&conditions and that they are
> available to you before you use the device. As an example, here is a
> quote from Lenovo's pre-2007 warranty:

Those terms are irrelevant except to the extent that they expand upon the
rights you have under consumer or contract law.

The fact that they are not made available has part of the contract before
it is concluded means that under English and AIUI EU law they are not
binding.

Only those terms that are part of the contract are enforcable.

Terms sent to you AFTER the contract has been concluded as part of the
delivery of the contract are not enforcable.

This is true for license and warranty agreements. I have pointed this out
already in this discussion. What part of it do you find difficult to
understand?

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98