[Gllug] News: Two cautioned over WiFi theft

Gundemarie Scholz spamyousilly at inbox.ru
Wed Apr 18 12:11:24 UTC 2007

t.clarke wrote:
> OUt of curiosity how do you change a MAC address?
> I assumed it was hard-encoded in the interface card

It seems a lot of broadband routers can do it as they have an option to
"clone" your computer's MAC address rather than using their own for the
connection to the ISP as some of them tie access to the end user's MAC
address.

Looking at the manpage for ifconfig, could this be the right option?

| hw class address
| Set  the hardware address of this interface, if the device
| driver supports this operation.  The keyword must be followed
| by the name of the hardware class and the printable ASCII
| equivalent of the hardware address.  Hardware classes currently
| supported include ether (Ethernet), ax25 (AMPR AX.25), ARCnet
| and netrom (AMPR NET/ROM).

So the syntax would be 'ifconfig ethx hw ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx'.

Regards,
Gunde
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk