[Gllug] OT: ADSL problems

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Thu Apr 12 09:23:03 UTC 2007

I have had a lot of problems with my ADSL connection lately
(Homechoice/Tiscali) - connection gets dropped. They say it is a problem
with the phone line (which is quite crackly), though BT (the supplier)
report no fault on their automatic check and I've never had the patience
to wait more than 15 minutes to actually talk to anybody.

>From observation I think the crackles and the quality are related to the
temperature - ie there will be some contact that is only fully made when
it is warm outside.

The problem only really started after Christmas when it got colder (it was
very warm in december if you remember). The connection gets dropped in the
evening or in the the early morning, but not on warm days etc, etc.

There is a BT box outside my window which looks in a right state - lots of
wires exposed etc.

Is it safe or reasonable to look at that and see if there is a poorly
screwed in connection or similar? Or do I have to waste a substantial
proportion of my life waiting for BT to offer any customer service?

Naturally, of course, I want to yield to the hands on imperative. But I
know nothing about the safety of telephone connections - I think they are
low voltage DC but I am sure someone here knows much more.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk