[Gllug] local debian mirror?

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 15 08:34:32 UTC 2007

Chris Bell wrote:

>    I would like to be able to take a computer and ethernet mini-hub to a
> site, plug in to local mains, and install on to some computers without
> current access to a local internet connection. I usually need to install on
> to ix86 series computers, but may need to install on IA64 or AMD64 (and
> possibly other) architectures.

The way I do it, which may or may not be appropriate for you it to have
a machine rsync the debian archive nightly. I run it on a Linksys NSLU2
with attached 300Gb drive, and it syncs over the DSL, using the Debian
provided "anonftpsync" script. Packages are made available from it over
HTTP and FTP, so I just need to stick in in the sources.list for all
local machines. Personally I just get i386 and source packages, but it's
trivial to pick the architectures you want.

HTH,

Mike

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk