[Gllug] [OT] Extended coverage wireless routers

amd_uk amd_uk at lineone.net
Mon Apr 9 12:05:20 UTC 2007

I've been lurking here for a while, and I've probably messed the actual
posting mechanism up, but I thought I'd chime in on this one.
You don't give any details about your physical wireless network, is the
laptop 3 feet away with clear line of sight or 30 feet away through 7
walls ? What's around that could be interfering with the signal - I had
wireless drop-out when I had a computer  turned on near the AP which was
solved by moving  them apart a few feet. Cordless phones can also
interfere, along with other APs nearby and this isn't even touching on
the actually building itself.
You could use another AP in wireless-bridge mode if both APs support it,
to extend the range of the wireless signal. I recently bought a WRT-54GL
and use it to bridge upstairs and downstairs, this should allow more
coverage but without knowing the details of how your wireless network is
laid out, it's difficult to make suggestions

As I understand it, MIMO uses more channels and tries to bounce the
radio waves around the house by having differently aligned antenna on
the AP which should, in theory, allow the wireless signal to cover more
area and circumvent most holes in the coverage that a single antenna may
generate (can you generate a hole ?)

As for pre-N, leave it alone - most of the things I've read say that the
gain isn't really worth it and it threatens to be a 54g repeat where,
iirc, there were two different implementations of pre-G (or am I getting
my v.90/K56flex/X2 mixed up again ?)

Andrew Davies.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk