[Gllug] NIS setup query

Thomas Clive Richards thomir at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 16:22:19 UTC 2007

Hi List,

I'm attempting ot set up an NIS server to map authentication information from
one NIS server to multiple clients. I've been following this guide:

http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/debian-howto/nis.html

And I'm at the point where I can issue "ypcat passwd" on the client, and get
the correct authentication information from the server. I've added the
appropriate entries to the /etc/[passwd|shadow|group|gshadow] files, and yet
when I try and log in on the client I get a "login failed" message.

When I attempt the login, There's UDP traffic between the client and server.
Can anyone suggest any possible causes? I'm *sure* the username/password
combination I'm using is correct, and the username in question is in the NIS
map (I can see it with the ypmatch command).

Do I need to configure PAM somehow? I've never done this before, so I guess I
might be missing something rather obvious..

Both client and server are running Ubuntu 6.10...
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk