[Gllug] back on the linux front

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Apr 13 13:49:36 UTC 2007

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 11:46:43AM +0000, Bradut Boghita wrote:
> The problem though is that is running very slow, even Xubuntu which
> is supposed to be 'lightweight', makes the harddisk churn big
> time. The machine is a pentium 4, 1.7Ghz, 512 Ram.

I'm a bit surprised that you found xubuntu to be problematic.  I
installed it on an ancient laptop with 128MB of RAM just before
Christmas and it ran reasonably well.

Modern distros, including (sadly) Fedora, can be a bit of a hog, but
it is usually possible to diagnose what is going on.  Use 'top' to get
a general idea of what is running.

Also it may be that some sort of "desktop search" is indexing all your
files for the first time.  If you don't need these search tools then
you can just remove the associated packages.  'Beagle' is a particular
problem.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones