[Gllug] back on the linux front

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Fri Apr 13 16:03:44 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 11:46 +0000, Bradut Boghita wrote:
> I hope that this is still the resource where 'forever linux newbies' come for help... :-)

Yes.

> The problem though is that is running very slow, even Xubuntu which is
> supposed to be 'lightweight', makes the harddisk churn big time. The
> machine is a pentium 4, 1.7Ghz, 512 Ram.
>
> Is this normal ? Is there a particular debian based desktop that you
> would recommend for a, presumably slow machine now ?

No. It is not "normal" and I have little familiarity with Debian
distros.

As suggested run top. I suggest running the top command and leave it
running while you are using the machine. By placing the terminal window
you have top running in so that the first few lines of activity can be
seen what ever you are doing will allow for seeing what is going on when
you are using your system.

As suggested Beagle could be a problem. Unfortunately I was unable to
see beagle running without leaving the top window open. Beagle seems to
try to make use of spare process time and whenever I invoked top it
would stop before the top display showed itself but would start up again
at various times. I suspect that there are other background processes
that do this as well.

Good luck. If it is something other than beagle it would be very
interesting to know about.

Justin
--
If you are an adult, you can choose to act like a child. If you do not
accept being an adult, you are only a child. -JJJ

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk