[Gllug] local debian mirror?

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 15 11:11:53 UTC 2007

Chris Bell wrote:

>    That is the kind of system I am considering, with "stable" only, but I
> will need to restrict my total internet use (to below about 50 - 60GB per
> month at present) to avoid severe data rate restrictions. I may end up with
> both a local apt-cacher that can save everything required, including bits
> from "testing", and a travelling kit that updates via the apt-cacher when
> possible.

Mirroring i386 and source probably consumes about 20-30Gb/month on
average, I'd say - but I'm mirroring testing/unstable, so with stable
only I'd expect the usage to be a lot lower. The initial sync was a lot
more than that, of course. I kick the sync off at 3am - you may find
your ISP has a "non-peak" time that doesn't count against your usage
cap. Or you could switch to an ISP that doesn't cap usage, though you
seem to have to go for "Business" packages to get that usually.

Mike

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk