[Gllug] Linux invalidates your HP warranty

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Tue Apr 3 09:30:21 UTC 2007

Hi

Nix wrote:
> You'd think they could save the old contents of the disk off while
> reimaging. Bah. Shoddy.

and do what with them?!

FWIW, a colleague is returning a Thinkpad today for servicing and IBM
specifically asked him to pop the disk out and hang on to it.

If you have chosen to significantly modify the product you purchased, I
think it's a bit rich to assume and expect that the vendor will bend
their processes to fit you. I might choose to buy an HP laptop and
install SCO on it and then get annoyed because they only support
Windows/Linux. Where does it stop?

To my mind, the solution is to buy from vendors who won't say stupid
things about linux, or better yet, ones who actively support it. Also
not buying HP laptops is a good plan anyway because they're pretty poor
IME ;)

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones