[Gllug] Suspend / resume from an external USB disk not supported by the BIOS

Mark Brier (Lists) lists at openitup.org
Fri Apr 13 10:18:13 UTC 2007

Chris Jones wrote:
> Hi
>
> Tom Schutzer-Weissmann wrote:
>> Does anyone know how I could get suspend to disk
>> working in this situation? More specifically, resume;
>> suspending appears to work.
>
> Umm...
>
> You want to hibernate to the disk and then resume from it, right?
>
> How do you expect that to be possible? You can't resume from a device
> you can't see until after you've resumed and loaded USB drivers. Perhaps
> finding a USB-IDE adapter which is recognised by the BIOS would be a
> better plan.
>
> If you're just wanting to recover data from a disk, why does hibernating
> matter anyway? ;)

You'll need to make sure USB disk support (usb-storage) is either built
into the kernel or loaded by your initrd.

It's possible to customise what mods the initrd will load.

On a debian system, you can simply edit /etc/initramfs-tools/modules.
Add the modules you want loaded and recreate a new initrd...

mkinitramfs -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-4 2.6.18-4

Substituting your kernel version where appropriate.

HTH,

  .~.   Mark Brier - Open Source Tech Consultant
 / v \  mark AT openitup DOT org / lists AT openitup DOT org
/( _ )\ PubKey - http://www.openitup.org/keys/markatopenitup.asc
  ^ ^	+44 (0)161 2422132 / +44 (0)7793 036840
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk