[Gllug] back on the linux front

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Fri Apr 13 11:54:45 UTC 2007

On Fri, April 13, 2007 12:46 pm, Bradut Boghita wrote:
> The problem though is that is running very slow, even Xubuntu which is
> supposed to be 'lightweight', makes the harddisk churn big time. The
> machine is a pentium 4, 1.7Ghz, 512 Ram.
>
> Is this normal ? Is there a particular debian based desktop that you would
> recommend for a, presumably slow machine now ?

Difficult to say from afar but i would be surprised if this really ran
slow and suspect you may have some tuning issues. What is the output of
'top' like? Are you running things you don't need like Squid or Sendmail?

Spamassassin is a big bonus, but it sure grinds slowly on a machine with
that sort of memory - are you using it?

Post up the output from top and ps -axf and we might have a better idea.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk