[Gllug] Linux invalidates your HP warranty

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Apr 4 16:56:32 UTC 2007

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 05:43:32PM +0100, Jason Clifford wrote:

> Seeing terms of the contract does not mean giving you access to the kinds
> of conditions we are discussing. I have just tested this with HP's own
> online ordering system and it does not show any software license for
> Windows or any other non-HP software and only refers to them as follows:

By 'testing this' do you mean that you have tested it in court, ie it could
be used as a precedent ? Or is there existing precedent that you can point us
to that we could quote ? Many web ordering sites are highly vague about the T&Cs
that you apparently agree to.

One thing that pisses me off is the clause in the contracts that the big utilities
& banks issue which basically allow them to vary any part of the contract &
tell you by any means that they see fit.

One that I have just noticed is that BT is going to charge you an extra #18/year
if you make payments by any other means than direct debit. It has got me so
annoyed that I am looking to see where I can switch to - as much as a protest
as anything else. So recommendations of good 'phone companies would be well
received. I want to keep my phone #. I also need ADSL[**] & would consider a
wholesale move (need fixed IP, no volume limits & no port filtering). NTL/Virgin
are in the area.

[**] I have recently noticed that my ISP rate limits what is supposed to be 2Meg,
after the first couple of megabytes the rate drops to 1/2.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/