[Gllug] Ceasing an ADSL telephone line

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Sun Aug 19 11:01:58 UTC 2007

On Sunday 19 August 2007 10:52:34 Jason Clifford wrote:

> How can it be FUD if it is actually happened and not just once or twice
> but many times?

We are an independant ISP

I've not read the whole thread but have over the last two months have had four
customers get their Broad Band terminated due to their own stupidity.

1. IMO we have far too many connections to be sitting there everyday watching
each and every one to see if a cease has appeared on the line, we also get
intermittant cease notifications anyway.

2. Its the customer / End users fault because they rarely, if ever, contact us
prior to cancelling their BT line, its all about basics 'Check with your ISP
what impact there will be' rather than adopting the attitude "Its my business
I'll do what I want" generally its those types of businesses with that
attitude who come on the phone screeming "We've no Email or Internet and
we're losing millions!" then when you give them the reason why they try and
make out its our fault! thats because they cant admit to themselves they
arent as clever as they thought.

3. IMO an ISP should'nt have to ring up a customer and say "You've registered
a cease on your line did you know that will kill your Broad Band?" this is
beacuse you'll end up spending your money on time and resources to sort out
their mess and they will not pay you for it as the mind set is "We already
pay you for a service" yeah mate but not for adminstartion!

The above is my experiance within the company I work for and may differ from
your experiances and or work practaces

--
Regards

Peter cannon