[Gllug] NFS root booting

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Dec 29 23:36:13 UTC 2007

On 29 Dec 2007, Adrian McMenamin outgrape:

> [    2.585989] Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.

> CONFIG_CMDLINE="console=ttySC1 panic=5 root=/dev/nfs
> ip=192.168.61.55:192.168.61.50:::::any earlyprintk=serial
> video=pvr2fb:640x480-32 at 60"

You are missing the nfsroot= parameter, which tells the kernel what the
IP address of the NFS server is, the exported directory on the server to
mount, and so on.

See Documentation/nfsroot.txt for more details.

(To be honest I can't see how this command-line could ever have worked:
were you getting your root filesystem from somewhere else and thinking
you were getting it via NFS?)

--
`The rest is a tale of post and counter-post.' --- Ian Rawlings
                                                   describes USENET
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk