[Gllug] offsite backup services

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Wed Dec 12 13:54:50 UTC 2007

Hi all,

We have a server here (primary used as a Samba fileserver for Windoze
boxes) which my users seem determined to fill. We have an archiving
"policy" which helps keep the disk-usage down but backing up is becoming
an issue.

Until now we have used tape drives ( currently we use AIT-2 ) but these
give us at best between 50 and 100GB storage. Our backup requirements
are close to if not over that. Use of removable media placates our
disaster recovery plan whereby backups are not stored onsite.

On the basis that the organisation (and thus my storage/backup needs)
seems to grow exponentially I feel that simply upping the tape size (as
we have done in the past) is no longer practical. I could use external
HDDs but I've been also thinking about offsite/online backup solutions
such as rsync.net (picked at random from Google).

Does anybody have any recommendations to a) whether using such a service
is a good idea and b) good suppliers of such a service or c) - I know
little of doing this so feel free to shoot this down in flames - renting
some space and doing it ourselves. If you have tips etc. I would be most
grateful.

cheers
--
Ryan Cartwright
http://www.cafamily.org.uk/oss

P.S. We're a charity so whilst we can and will budget for such things
(and will pay for a good service) we'd prefer to keep costs lower.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk