[Gllug] On a Fasthost adv.

Caroline Ford caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 19 18:59:24 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 12:34 +0000, Ryan Cartwright wrote:

> One friend is furious that his ISP has advertised up to 8mb and the best
> he can get (because of his line apparently) is just over 1Mb. Another
> has realised that his "unlimited" bandwidth (for which he pays extra) is
> actually limited to 40GB and by restrictions on particular
> ports/services. The Gadget show campaign can - if nothing else - raise
> awareness of the false-advertising carried out by many ISPs.

T Mobile has 3 different levels of unlimited service with different
prices. 40GB isn't too bad, I have 'unlimited' of 3GB here.

Blocked ports are a major issue, and filtering. There seems to be no way
of finding out what you are going to get until you've signed up. You can
be cautious and pay extra for a geek friendly ISP or suffer the risk
that your ISP will wish to 'protect you' from loads of stuff like IRC..

Caroline

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk