[Gllug] extracting data from specific sites

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 12:20:45 UTC 2007

On Dec 17, 2007 11:33 AM, Progga <proggaprogga at gmail.com> wrote:

> 0. Read the terms & conditions of the website.  If it prohibits screen scraping,
> you are out of luck.

I'm doubtful about the legality of that. If they're placing the
information in a place that's accessible to the public, for the
express purpose of give access to that information, then I would have
thought that they don't really have grounds to complain when people
access that information, regardless of the method they use to do so.
What's the difference between a screen scraper and a web browser?

Of course, IANAL, and the law is an ass....

Tet

--
Perl is like vise grips. You can do anything with it but it is the
wrong tool for every job. -- Bruce Eckel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk